Friday 2 May 2008

Pyrography For Pleasure or Profit

Hello again!

I have been surfing the net to see what’s happening in the world of wood burning and connected wood crafts.

I have found some amazing Pyrography from all corners of the earth! I hadn’t realised that there was such an interest and so many forms of burned wood etching!

It seems Pyrography has many forms including as an embellishment that a wood turner may use to give a personalised finish to a piece of work.

The same applies to wooden furniture makers. Bespoke furniture can be created and a design may be repeated for example on kitchen cupboard doors or perhaps on the wooden furniture in a child’s room, adding a touch of originality to the piece.

Pyrography is surprisingly adaptable and can be used to give a decorative finish to household items which can be themed and coloured to enhance the original item.

If you have a flair for the arts then Pyrography can be used in many imaginative and creative ways including 'Fire Art' for pictures and sculptures. Pyrography also lends itself to a embellishment on wooden or leather jewellery.

This craft can offer you a bottomless reservoir of potential ideas, however, what do you do if you know that you would like to create for instance, a picture on wood but you don’t know what the picture should be?

Or perhaps you have already created many pieces of work and now all your ideas have dried up, this can happen to the best of us.

The first thing I did when this happened to me was to think about ways that I could open up my mind, so that I might become more receptive to experimenting with new forms of Pyrography.

I went down to the library to search out books that may help me to think more laterally. I needed to find books that talked about techniques of ‘lateral thinking’. I wanted to see if I might be able to unblock the stopper and release a new wave of ideas that I could use for my craft.

Research of this kind in a library or on the net may not appeal to everyone but I found some of the ideas quite stimulating and freeing. It is definitely worth the extra effort - why not try reading some of the literature yourself (that is of course if you are not already experienced in this kind of thinking)!

I will write again soon - until next time!

Bye for now enjoy your craft!

No comments: